It’s winter and it’s COLD. Yesterday was so incredibly sunny that I opened the windows expecting a fresh warm breeze. A miracle, I thought! Instead, freezing cold air blasted my face. 😐 Greaaat.
Anywhoo..winter is the perfect excuse to load up on hearty, warm, comforting dishes. For me, that often includes potatoes. So yesterday I decided to make one of my favorite easy dishes, pork and mashed potatoes. It’s something my mom makes at home as a filling for burritos. :O I didn’t have tortillas here in France, so baguette it is!
The meal is cooked all in the same pot, mashed up and mixed with tomato sauce, garlic, onions, and bay leaves. And even though we just got our new stove delivered yesterday, I made this in the pressure cooker because it’s just easier. I’ve made this many times on the stovetop too, it’s completely doable – it just takes a bit more time. If you do make this on the stovetop, I recommend boiling your potatoes separately and then adding them. Anyway, please “continue reading” for an easy, yummy recipe.
Pork and Mashed potatoes with Tomato Sauce
- 350 g (or 12 oz) pork loin, cubed
- 500 g (a bit more than 1 pound) potatoes, also cubed
- 225 ml (~8 oz) tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
*remember to boil your potatoes first if you are not using a pressure cooker
- Add your garlic, onions, salt, pepper, and pork into a hot pan with a little bit of oil and cook until pork is browned on all sides.
- Add tomato sauce and cook about a minute or two.
- Add potatoes, bay leaves, and about 125 ml (4 oz) of water. Add less if you will be using this as a burrito filling. Close Pressure cooker and set to 10 minutes.
- When you open it up, everything should be well cooked. I took the side of a wooden spoon and mashed about 3/4 of the potatoes while still in the pan. This should absorb some of the liquid and leave you with a thick dish.
I served this with a baguette and some steamed veggies on the side. It could serve 4 people…but it just served the 2 of us. :O Have I ever mentioned that Mr Bear can EAT?! I hope this makes it onto somebody’s table.