Do you want something easy, yummy, and pretty to eat? Yes you do. And guess what? It’s got tomatoes in it. Again, this recipe is pretty much health food. Sure there is cheese, and a pie crust is involved, but there are sliced tomatoes all over it! Antioxidants! (I think). This is something that you can whip up and take to a potluck or on a picnic, and impress people with the french food you’ve made. 😛
Tarte à la tomate
- prepared pie crust with recipe of your choice (Martha Stewart has a good one) or when I’m being lazy I just buy a crust at the supermarket.
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 115 g (4 oz) emmental cheese or similar
- herbs de provence
- Preheat oven to 420 F or 220 C
- Take your crust and spread it into the pie mould, and pierce the bottom with a fork all around. I like to pre-bake the crust for about 5 minutes before adding the other ingredients, so that it doesn’t get soggy at the bottom.
- Once the crust is pre-baked, spread your dijon at the bottom of the crust, then sprinkle the cheese, then arrange your tomato rounds over everything.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top, add the herbs, salt and pepper, and bake for about 20 minutes.
Like I said, practically health food. 😀 I like to make this when I need something quick to go with my lunchtime salads. It’s also a nice appetizer. You can also try different types of cheese and even try making it with a puff pastry base instead. Enjoy!